• March Community Highlights

As we continue to march through the school year, here are some conversations you might find useful for your classroom. Now’s the perfect time to ask a question, share some wisdom, or just stop in and say hello!

How comics help humanize history

Join this discussion on how comics have allowed those not usually given a voice to be included in the historical narrative and how to incorporate graphic biographies in your…

• What caused GameStop mania?

By Bennett Sherry, OER Project Team
    Maine, USA

Here at the OER Project, we’re pretty big fans of causation. Why? Not only is causation a key historical thinking skill, it’s also a skill that helps students make sense of current events. The causation skill progression helps BHP and WHP students develop evidence-based arguments in response to cause-and-effect questions. Causation can be a challenge for students. Adopting…

• How I learned to stop worrying and love nonfiction comics, and why you should too

By Trevor Getz, OER Project Team
    San Francisco, USA

This is the second in a three-part series on the use of comics in the social studies classroom, focusing largely on Black creators and subjects, both in recognition of Black History Month and also to acknowledge the importance of celebrating diverse voices year-round.

In my last post, I described how the creation of the graphic history March provided a solution to Congressman…

• "Nevertheless, she persisted”: A celebration of women’s history

By Bridgette Byrd O’Connor, OER Project Team
    Louisiana, USA

I taught a variety of social studies courses at an all-girls high school for 10 years, including one on women’s history. To explain the context, this was a course I taught to girls in the twenty-first century, but it was also in an ultra-conservative district. So, I wasn’t shocked when the father of one of my students made a snarky comment about how it must…

• A serious history of Black comics creators

San Francisco, USA

This is the first in a three-part series on the use of comics in the social studies classroom, focusing largely on Black creators and subjects, both in recognition of Black History Month and also to acknowledge the importance of celebrating diverse voices year-round.

It was 2008 and Congressman John Lewis’s staff were in a long meeting. They were trying to figure out…

• Share your Zen!

By the OER Project Team

We’re nearly a year into this pandemic, and we are all still finding our footing. Between teaching, caring for the health of ourselves and our families, wearing masks, and spending a whole lot of time in isolation, the difficulties of this year have highlighted the necessity of carving out small moments of calm.

Thank you, everyone, for sharing with us your mini-getaways and the other ways…

• Happy Day of His Elective Majesty

By Trevor R. Getz, OER Project Team
    San Francisco, USA

Welcome to Presidents Day, an annual holiday on the American calendar that reminds us not only of the founding of our republic, but also the role and position of the American president, from George Washington to Joe Biden. This annual red-letter day, like the swearing-in of the president at a formal inauguration ceremony every four years, is meant to condition us to…

• February Community Highlights

By the OER Project Team

Here’s to hoping this monthly update with tips, tricks, and other advice from the OER Project Teacher Community gives you a little extra inspiration as you head into February. Read on for a cute post about pets; tips for teaching contextualization; a vocabulary scavenger hunt; and plenty more you can use with your students today!

Vocabulary scavenger hunt

Enjoy this fantastic idea from an…

• How can we help students identify disinformation? Teach them claim testing and sourcing skills.

By Bridgette Byrd O’Connor
    Louisiana, USA

The entire world breathed a collective sigh of relief when 2020 came to an end, but little did we know what would greet us at the start of 2021. Our students are living through a tumultuous time, and they are continuously bombarded with information from a variety of sources that can be contradictory and thus confusing. In addition, they’re exposed to an alarming amount of…

• A usable history of disease

San Francisco, USA

Blogging through a pandemic

Back in the old days—the early months of the COVID-19 pandemic—things were different for the OER Project team. Like teachers everywhere, we scrambled to adjust to the new reality: Our lives were spent mainly at home, our meetings and social gatherings were held online, and on those rare occasions we dared to venture out into the world, we did…

• Bringing the voices of Aboriginal peoples into the Big History classroom

By Hayden Brown, OER Project Teacher
    Perth, Australia

Note from the OER Project team: As the school year kicks off in Australia, we’re publishing a couple of Australia-centric blogs to help our Aussie teachers hit the ground running. However, this blog is relevant to teachers across the globe in providing tips for how to bring Indigenous and local histories into the classroom.

Too often, the narrative of Aboriginal…

• Big History Aussie style

By Kim Lochner, OER Project Teacher
    Queensland, Australia

When I first started teaching BHP, I wasn’t sure how it would meld with the Australian Curriculum. I thought I could use bits, but would have to create my own assessment. I was pleasantly surprised to find the fully resourced writing Investigations aligned neatly with the Australian Curriculum, matching key elements of the humanities and science syllabi. I have…

• A fun day at the paw-ffice

By the OER Project Team

Seeing your pets and their contributions to your life has brought us all such warm and… fuzzy feelings. Thank you, teachers, for sharing photos of your furry (and sometimes scaly) friends! Sure, they may not do much actual “helping” (in fact, it seems like they tend to do a lot of sleeping on the job…), but hey, we love them anyway.

The Most Technologically Literate …

• “Give me cereal, or you get death!”

By Bennett Sherry, OER Project Team
    Maine, USA

How do societies balance “order” and “liberty”? How does the state protect, or coerce, citizens? What are the costs and benefits of government?

As governments around the world attempt to convince—or coerce—citizens to stay home and wear masks, these debates take center stage. But efforts at collective safety have been met with the objection that they…

• Contextualizing the big stuff: Turning a core competency on its head

San Francisco, USA

We all know students need to learn to contextualize

Contextualization fits in everybody’s list of core historical skills. No, really! It’s hard to find anybody who doesn’t call for students to learn how to, in the words of the AP World History Course and Exam Description, “analyze the context of historical events, developments, or processes.”…

• January Community Highlights

By the OER Project Team

Ring in 2021 with these exciting conversations that are taking place in the OER Project Community. And if you’re looking for a New Year’s resolution you can accomplish right now, how about posting a question or an idea in one of these discussions?

Pacing during a pandemic

2020 is finally kaput, but we’re not out of the woods yet. Check out how fellow teachers have handled lesson pacing…

• Choose your own (writing) adventure: Project Score

By the OER Project Team

Do your students need more scaffolded and deliberate practice with writing? Have you been trying different strategies but haven’t had as much success as you’d like? Introducing Project Score. Project Score is our brand new OER Project writing extension that can be used to support social studies writing instruction in all kinds of classrooms. And better yet, Project Score uses Score, our (free!…

• Ice cream, Nicolas Cage, and untimely death: A glimpse into Project X

By the OER Project Team

If you had a crystal ball that let you see into the future, what would you want to know? What would you look for? If you didn’t say “My likelihood of being killed by ice cream or Nicolas Cage films,” then I have some concerning news for you:

Correlation does not equal causation: Violent crime index vs. ice cream sales. By WHP, CC BY-NC 4.0.

Spurious correlations, by Tyler Vigen…

• Did you hear that? Best practices for using audio as a reading scaffold (now available in WHP too)!

Rachel Phillips, OER Project Team Learning Scientist
    California, USA

If you’re a Big History Project (BHP) teacher, you likely already know that there are audio versions available for the majority of BHP articles. And for World History Project (WHP) teachers…the wait is over! You’ll now find audio versions of articles in the WHP Origins and 1750 courses. These audio files—which are based on each article’s highest Lexile…

• Introducing Project X and Project Score

Know a teacher on the fence about trying OER Project? Our new standalone course extensions are a great way to sample what we do.

If you logged into the OER Project platform recently, you probably noticed two new course offerings: Project X and Project Score. You might be asking yourself, “What ARE they and who should use them?”

At OER Project, we've been working hard to make great content easily accessible…

• Lunchtime! What are OER Project teachers eating in 2020?

By OER Project Staff

Lukewarm coffee, anyone? Brewed just two class periods ago!

Between teaching (virtually, in person, or hybrid style), the holidays, good old winter, and, of course, the pandemic, who has time to think about lunch?!

Thank you so much, everyone, for sharing your midday routines—whether it’s a quick eat-at-your-desk salad, or a hopefully-not-still-ice-cold frozen dish. We have loved reading about your…

• OER Project at NCSS 2020: A quick recap

By the OER Project Team

While we were really looking forward to a trip to the nation’s capital for this year’s National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS), 2020—as we all know too well—had different plans for us. Despite the move to a virtual format, we were excited to see many faces, familiar and new, in three OER Project sessions during NCSS, December 5 and 6. Here’s a quick recap of the fun!…

• December Community Highlights

By the OER Project Team

Whether you’re looking for that next great activity to “wow” your students, novel ideas for distance learning, or some extra help with a specific teaching topic, the OER Project Community is a great place to collaborate with fellow teachers and scholars. Here are a few exciting discussions taking place right now!

What legacy will your art leave?

Here’s a very engaging activity…

• Historicizing holidays

By Bridgette Byrd O’Connor, OER Project Team
    Louisiana, USA

The arrival of colder temperatures, at least in the northern hemisphere, means it’s holiday season! Our students start to get excited for this time of year—I mean who wouldn’t, right?! They get to dress up for Halloween, enjoy the lights of Diwali, stuff themselves for Thanksgiving, and celebrate Christmas, Hannukah, and Kwanzaa with family. And, of course…

• “Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus…. and you helped create him.”

San Francisco, USA

History, it is sometimes claimed, is the study of continuity and change over time (CCOT). Most historians and teachers demote CCOT to just one among several core competencies in the formal study of the past. They place it alongside other skills with labels like sourcing, historical empathy, comparison, and causation. Even put in its place among complementary skills, the…