Evidence and Reasoning

Thanks,  , for sharing this great strategy for helping students to get that key component of organizing an argument of explaining the reason why the cited evidence supports the claim. I can see sharing this strategy with my middle school team, introducing it in my 6th grade class and having it be reinforced as our students move through the grades. I like the idea of also giving them lots of shared experiences to learn and get the hang of the strategy before we apply it to content.

Top Replies

Parents
  • I borrowed the Tom Brady example used in the track talk - my kids ate it up! However, in their recent LEQ it was clear that there was a disconnect between what was evidence vs. reasoning in actual practice of analyzing and making historical claims. Anyone have any suggestions for helping them understand this concept in practice? 

I did use one of the Crash Course video transcripts and have them pull claim, evidence, and reasoning out of it and even here it was clear that there was a disconnect. 

• Hi  ! This is such a difficult skill to teach and I still struggle with it at times. I've found that I have to present the idea multiple ways throughout the year so that it hopefully & eventually clicks for each of my students.

I found the "My Dad is an Alien" commercial activity from this website to be a fun intro activity for evidence vs. reasoning. Throughout the start of the year I do a lot more scaffolded activities, usually using some format of a CER chart. It takes some practice and can be frustrating at first, but the more students work on it the better they get with it. It doesn't always have to be a full CER chart either. Sometimes for a Do Now I will give students a claim and piece of evidence and have them provide the reasoning.

I also introduced the idea of a "quote sandwich". There are a ton of great graphics/posters with this idea if you do a quick google search. The basic premise is to introduce with context, have a quote in the center, and then add an explanation at the end that relates back to the claim. I'd love to hear what others do! I'm always looking for ways to tweak my instruction.

• Hi  ! This is such a difficult skill to teach and I still struggle with it at times. I've found that I have to present the idea multiple ways throughout the year so that it hopefully & eventually clicks for each of my students.

I found the "My Dad is an Alien" commercial activity from this website to be a fun intro activity for evidence vs. reasoning. Throughout the start of the year I do a lot more scaffolded activities, usually using some format of a CER chart. It takes some practice and can be frustrating at first, but the more students work on it the better they get with it. It doesn't always have to be a full CER chart either. Sometimes for a Do Now I will give students a claim and piece of evidence and have them provide the reasoning.

I also introduced the idea of a "quote sandwich". There are a ton of great graphics/posters with this idea if you do a quick google search. The basic premise is to introduce with context, have a quote in the center, and then add an explanation at the end that relates back to the claim. I'd love to hear what others do! I'm always looking for ways to tweak my instruction.

Children
No Data