Assessing Historical Thinking Through the Stories of the Fallen

, I thought your track talk, Assessing Historical Thinking Through the Stories of the Fallen, was a powerful example of students DOING history. It's really incredible how you helped them conduct research, apply historical thinking skills, and develop historical empathy. Now that you have been doing this for a few years, do you have a sense of how this endeavor affects your students in their lives after graduation?

Top Replies

• Thank you! I have heard from a few former students who make reference to this work and its powerful impact on them. the student I mentioned in the talk is now in medical school and told me she did some…

• I think both approaches can work if they spark interest and learning. This has worked for me and my students, but finding what works best for your school community is important. I met teachers from a High…

• Shane-Thank you for this track talk. Years ago I was selected to participate in the Vietnam Teachers Network.  We met in D.C. and we were asked to pick a solder from our community, write a remembrance,…

Parents
  • Thank you! I have heard from a few former students who make reference to this work and its powerful impact on them. the student I mentioned in the talk is now in medical school and told me she did some interning at the VA Hospital and was interested in this, at least in part, due to her experience telling the story of George Arsenault and meeting his brother Leo. When George was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star as a result of her work in 2016, she drove from the University 4 hours to be with Leo in person for the Bronze Star ceremony. So I feel it does affect them after graduation.

• Thank you! I have heard from a few former students who make reference to this work and its powerful impact on them. the student I mentioned in the talk is now in medical school and told me she did some interning at the VA Hospital and was interested in this, at least in part, due to her experience telling the story of George Arsenault and meeting his brother Leo. When George was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star as a result of her work in 2016, she drove from the University 4 hours to be with Leo in person for the Bronze Star ceremony. So I feel it does affect them after graduation.

Children