Inquiry based more than old dead guys (track talk)

This talk was not about using a particular inquiry model, but instead about creating a culture of questioning in the classroom. When the teacher asks questions-- about everything-- instead of presenting material with statements, students become more interested in social studies. They also learn that asking their own questions and finding their own answers matter.

Question for listeners: What are some examples of how you have turned statements into questions when teaching your own students?

• I enjoyed this track talk because it gave me some space to conceptualize how to support teachers with designing lessons.  Using primary sources to begin lessons and "letting kids create the journey" was impactful to me.  Coming up with those influential and thought provoking compelling questions is the challenging part for sure.  I try to support teachers with generating questions rather than telling students information.  Specifically when working with a 6th grade teacher she had students list advantages and disadvantages of early civilizations settling near river valleys.  She wasn't sure what to do when they only listed a few items.  So we brainstormed what questions could she ask around:  resources, climate, weather, animal life, etc. to get students thinking rather than telling them they "why" settle near a river and what the potential consequences of that decision might be too. #OERscavengerhunt