Please Don't Call On Me

Engaging Conversation Track
I just had a chance to watch this video by   . Her personal story and research are very convincing.  She concludes by calling on teachers to be intentional and supportive when thinking about how to get students to participate in class discussions.  What are your thoughts about Think, Pair, Share, or Parlay Live Round Table, or Yoteach?  Do you have other strategies that will increase student participation but not cause undo stress?  

Top Replies

• The eternal struggle! Great scientific approach to this Megan! Thank you! Lots of things I'll steal! Only thing I'd add is to give kids Socratic prompts and sentence starters as well as Blooms…

• Take that, Doug Lemov!  (See his Cold Call strategy) In general, I've had the most luck with small group discussions, either pairs or quads, and really clear instructions on what to do. Matthew Kay's book…

• Thanks for sharing your thoughts Megan and more importantly your strategies for improving student engagement. I have had some success with Think, Pair, Share and have found using games often brings students…

Parents
  • This is my never ending struggle to have students share out in middle school. There are always five kids who want to do all the sharing and the rest who avoid all eye contact in hopes that I don't look at them. While virtual I found using a pear deck with google slides was really helpful. I can ask questions and they can answer anonymously (well I can see who wrote it later but I don't let them know that), and they have been so much better at sharing authentic feelings and ideas. I am wondering if that will be something that I can bring back to in person learning this year and if it will work as well. 

• Same here.  I really like the dashboard feature so i could see who wrote what and block the crazy but it really tied me to my desk.  

Reply Children
No Data