3 Steps to a Deeper Classroom: Unlocking the Power of Conversation using Google Forms

I thought this was great and really useful. Thank you, Dan Fouts! Thinking of different ways I can use this in my WHP middle school classroom.

Top Replies

• I am still a little confused about how the essential question is developed.  Is it taking that quote and putting it into a larger context?  Is it taking a stand on the claim or counterclaim?

• This strategy looks powerful and engaging. Can't wait to try it with my 6th graders. Thanks!

• I think the idea is to ask the students to use the quote to examine both its claim and the counterclaim...and then take a stand and defend that position (i.e., do you agree with the quote or disagree with…

Parents
  • I am still a little confused about how the essential question is developed.  Is it taking that quote and putting it into a larger context?  Is it taking a stand on the claim or counterclaim?

• I think the idea is to ask the students to use the quote to examine both its claim and the counterclaim...and then take a stand and defend that position (i.e., do you agree with the quote or disagree with it? Why?) I'm thinking that younger students might need that to be an explicit intermediate step; turning it into an essential question may be a fourth step for my 6th graders.

• I think the idea is to ask the students to use the quote to examine both its claim and the counterclaim...and then take a stand and defend that position (i.e., do you agree with the quote or disagree with it? Why?) I'm thinking that younger students might need that to be an explicit intermediate step; turning it into an essential question may be a fourth step for my 6th graders.

Children
No Data