OC for SS After Party // Keynote by Bryan Stevenson // 08-03-2021

The work of Bryan Stevenson and the Equal Justice Initiative on educating the public about ending mass incarceration and achieving equality, justice, and fairness for all Americans is inspirational. What was your biggest takeaway after watching Bryan Stevenson’s keynote address? Please post your comments and questions below as we continue this important conversation! 

Top Replies

• It came me as Mr Stevenson was speaking and after a comment someone had made about primary sources that primary sources are a way of creating proximity with people from the past, people with different…

• As I prepare for my first time teaching American History at the high school level, I am tremendously grateful for the takeaway of presenting the difficult truths of our history with the underpinning of…

• I really liked his point on making sure people know that we are not punishing or hating the USA through our commitment for truth and reconciling with out history. Instead, we are simply determined to pursue…

• It came me as Mr Stevenson was speaking and after a comment someone had made about primary sources that primary sources are a way of creating proximity with people from the past, people with different experiences and backgrounds. 

• Education can feel like a battleground, but we can turn it into an opportunity to earn a medal of honor by committing to the hard work to change the narrative, seek the truth, work towards justice, and stay hopeful!

• A few years ago I had the pleasure of seeing John Lewis speak.  The line that has resonated with me from that speech was, "There is nothing more powerful than the sound of marching feet.  From Bryan's speech, the line I think that will stick with me for years is "The opposite of poverty is not wealth, it is justice."  Excellent stories/narratives.  Thank you all for coordinating this event and to Bryan for your time, storytelling, and honesty.  

• As I prepare for my first time teaching American History at the high school level, I am tremendously grateful for the takeaway of presenting the difficult truths of our history with the underpinning of hope and liberation throughout. 

• I really liked his point on making sure people know that we are not punishing or hating the USA through our commitment for truth and reconciling with out history. Instead, we are simply determined to pursue the truth! As Bryan stated, we do this because we know that something better is on the way. 

• Education can feel like a battleground, but we can turn it into an opportunity to earn a medal of honor by committing to the hard work to change the narrative, seek the truth, work towards justice, and stay hopeful!

•  I completely agree.  With all that is going on in politics right now it helped to hear him use this language and provide a remedy.

• A very powerful and hopeful message by Bryan.  I few big takeaways for me include the need to continue to reject the narrative and ideology of white supremacy.  And this can be done in many ways as a history teacher.  Also, the importance of confessing the sins of our country and world in order to move forward (and repentance).  As a history teacher, I was convicted with the need to learn more about our country's history in order to be a better teacher and to make sure I am teaching the honest truth and whole truth of our country's history.

• I think my biggest takeaway after watching Bryan Stevenson's keynote address is that in order to achieve equality and justice, I will need to do my part and commit to doing things that are uncomfortable. I have not shied away from teaching the truth and having difficult conversations in the past, but this year will bring an extra layer of anxiety as I am teaching in a state that is trying to legislate how we do or don't approach history that too often has been hidden away in our society. I appreciated the reminder to stay hopeful and to remember that people before me have had more difficult challenges to overcome. My teaching the truth is miniscule in comparison with sacrifices made in the journey towards fairness for all. I look forward to looking into some of the resources that were shared.

• Years ago I made a statement to my 8th graders that I feel sometimes like I'm "teaching" my students to dis-like white men. I would clarify that I do indeed love them as I married one and have two sons. They'd laugh at me. So to answer one of the questions in the chat today, I learned early to always end lessons with hope and progress, or it's just too painful to teach hour after hour, year after year.  How? I was always amazed when I asked students for examples of positive societal changes. Since they are young and mostly unjaded, they do provide so many improvements from the time we we discussing! My "go-to" line is we can be part of the problem or the solution. Which will you be? It seems to inspire hope, no matter how small or big your words or actions are. We have a role to play in life, and you get to choose how to live here in 2021.

Don't forget
to register!