OC for SS After Party // Keynote by Bryan Stevenson // 08-03-2021

The work of Bryan Stevenson and the Equal Justice Initiative on educating the public about ending mass incarceration and achieving equality, justice, and fairness for all Americans is inspirational. What was your biggest takeaway after watching Bryan Stevenson’s keynote address? Please post your comments and questions below as we continue this important conversation! 

Top Replies

• It came me as Mr Stevenson was speaking and after a comment someone had made about primary sources that primary sources are a way of creating proximity with people from the past, people with different…

• As I prepare for my first time teaching American History at the high school level, I am tremendously grateful for the takeaway of presenting the difficult truths of our history with the underpinning of…

• I really liked his point on making sure people know that we are not punishing or hating the USA through our commitment for truth and reconciling with out history. Instead, we are simply determined to pursue…

Parents
  • Years ago I made a statement to my 8th graders that I feel sometimes like I'm "teaching" my students to dis-like white men. I would clarify that I do indeed love them as I married one and have two sons. They'd laugh at me. So to answer one of the questions in the chat today, I learned early to always end lessons with hope and progress, or it's just too painful to teach hour after hour, year after year.  How? I was always amazed when I asked students for examples of positive societal changes. Since they are young and mostly unjaded, they do provide so many improvements from the time we we discussing! My "go-to" line is we can be part of the problem or the solution. Which will you be? It seems to inspire hope, no matter how small or big your words or actions are. We have a role to play in life, and you get to choose how to live here in 2021.

• Years ago I made a statement to my 8th graders that I feel sometimes like I'm "teaching" my students to dis-like white men. I would clarify that I do indeed love them as I married one and have two sons. They'd laugh at me. So to answer one of the questions in the chat today, I learned early to always end lessons with hope and progress, or it's just too painful to teach hour after hour, year after year.  How? I was always amazed when I asked students for examples of positive societal changes. Since they are young and mostly unjaded, they do provide so many improvements from the time we we discussing! My "go-to" line is we can be part of the problem or the solution. Which will you be? It seems to inspire hope, no matter how small or big your words or actions are. We have a role to play in life, and you get to choose how to live here in 2021.

Children
  •  I agree that giving students a sense of hope that things can be different and that they can make part of that change is essential. It can be daunting, but one thing I like about the WHP is that it has stories of resistance. It folds in quite nicely with the idea of proximity. I recall the material on the Ghana and the slave trade as being particularly compelling. Part of that same material was how one enslaved African talked about how uncivilized the European enslavers were. It was really an eye-opener for everyone in class.

Don't forget
to register!