OC for SS After Party // Keynote by Bryan Stevenson // 08-03-2021

The work of Bryan Stevenson and the Equal Justice Initiative on educating the public about ending mass incarceration and achieving equality, justice, and fairness for all Americans is inspirational. What was your biggest takeaway after watching Bryan Stevenson’s keynote address? Please post your comments and questions below as we continue this important conversation! 

Top Replies

• It came me as Mr Stevenson was speaking and after a comment someone had made about primary sources that primary sources are a way of creating proximity with people from the past, people with different…

• As I prepare for my first time teaching American History at the high school level, I am tremendously grateful for the takeaway of presenting the difficult truths of our history with the underpinning of…

• I really liked his point on making sure people know that we are not punishing or hating the USA through our commitment for truth and reconciling with out history. Instead, we are simply determined to pursue…

Parents
  • A very powerful and hopeful message by Bryan.  I few big takeaways for me include the need to continue to reject the narrative and ideology of white supremacy.  And this can be done in many ways as a history teacher.  Also, the importance of confessing the sins of our country and world in order to move forward (and repentance).  As a history teacher, I was convicted with the need to learn more about our country's history in order to be a better teacher and to make sure I am teaching the honest truth and whole truth of our country's history.

•  Yes. I think educating ourselves and making sure we are teaching the truth about our country's history is job one. The older we are, the greater that challenge, I think. As someone born in 1966, I know my own education left vast gaps and in some cases inaccuracies and misinformation, so my task involves so much undoing as well as educating of self.

Reply Children
  • Shoot, as someone born in 1990 in a predominantly white town/county/state - my education also left gaps and misinformation that only began to get dismantled in college.  I'm totally with you on making sure that we are filling in those gaps so that we can provide honest history to our students.

Don't forget
to register!