OC for SS After Party // Keynote by Jane Kamensky with Rodney Pierce // 08-04-2021

Jane Kamensky’s conversation with Rodney Pierce focused on the importance of teaching the American Revolution. This is an excellent topic to be thinking about as we return to the classroom. What was your biggest takeaway after listening to Jane and Rodney’s conversation? Leave a comment below on how you will use the information from her keynote address to prepare for this upcoming school year! Looking forward to learning from each other.  

Top Replies

• We have a very demanding form of government. It’s a lot easier to be a subject of a king. It’s really hard to be in a democracy/republic because you have to be accountable and responsible to participate…

• Taking away the idea that the American Revolution is still happening! Also, What does it mean to be American sounds like a great question to have a discussion about.

• This conversation brought up a key piece of what we're missing to create a true full K-12 social studies program, and that is access.  Not just for high school teachers.  What if elementary school teachers…

• We have a very demanding form of government. It’s a lot easier to be a subject of a king. It’s really hard to be in a democracy/republic because you have to be accountable and responsible to participate - be informed, skilled in arguing and listening, and ok with being imperfect. This framing presents a wonderful challenge to our students as citizens and will empower them. I also appreciated (as a recovering perfectionist) the idea that we are imperfect people doing imperfect work, but how are we working towards “a more perfect union” that changes with time as the contest of ideas continues.

• Taking away the idea that the American Revolution is still happening! Also, What does it mean to be American sounds like a great question to have a discussion about.

• This conversation brought up a key piece of what we're missing to create a true full K-12 social studies program, and that is access.  Not just for high school teachers.  What if elementary school teachers had access to college professors of history?  Two way street- the college professors would have to boil down to the very basics what kids need to know and understand.  But anytime we can listen to a person like Jane, we're inspired to teach the story.  

• My biggest take is what Jane said what the meaning of "A more Perfect Union ".  The change continues...

• The American experiment is an unfinished revolution. We're a nation born as an experiment and contest of ideas. Also born out of the ideals of liberty and equity. How can we make these promised more true? We have to work to make a more perfect union.

• My big takeaways from this session included looking at the American Revolution as a Transformation instead of an Origin of American history.  The other big takeaway included the importance of collaboration between high school teachers and college professors, as well as between high school, middle school, elementary, and preschool teachers.  In order for us teachers to be successful and know what our students need, we need to collaborate especially with the grade levels below and above us.  As a high school teacher, it's also very important to collaborate with college professors to see what they expect of their students and ways to draw interest from colleges to your high school.

• The American experiment is an unfinished revolution. We're a nation born as an experiment and contest of ideas. Also born out of the ideals of liberty and equity. How can we make these promised more true? We have to work to make a more perfect union.

• I loved that part of the conversation too! My students and I often talk about how fragile democracy is because it is so complex (a theme in Big History). There are a lot of working parts that have to be maintained to keep it working! If we keep these conversations going, and give students MORE talk time in our classrooms, we will be helping our union to be be more perfect in its experiment.

How do you guys facilitate student talk? 

• Centered around the word "union".  People today want the way they think is right to be the only way.  No one is focused on "union".  If I care about America, I want what makes you content as well as what makes me happy.  If "union" was the key word in our minds, we'd be after the goal of satisfying our fellow Americans too.  We do it in our neighborhoods- most of us wouldn't build a structure in our yards that offends our closest neighbors.  But on the national scene, we don't care what we do and how this affects others. 

• That is a great question for discussion! And I think the English and social studies folks should join together on that one and think about how students can investigate it and demonstrate their learning! 

Don't forget
to register!