OC for SS After Party // Literacy Live Discussion // 08-05-2021

Literacy and history instruction go hand in hand, which makes our Literacy Live Discussion such an important one. Which strategy shared during the session resonated with you the most? We'd love to learn how you incorporate literacy into your instruction. Share your takeaways and thoughts in the comments below. 

Top Replies

• No doubt the conferencing approach takes some planning (and a bit of magic timing). I think Andrew is on to something though - students really do crave that one-on-one time with teachers - even though they won't admit it! And our words and advice really do make a difference. The difference between the real-time screen feedback and a personal conference though is vast.  Let's do some math (sorry!)...

We do about 5 "real" essays a year...and I have 150ish students.

Each essay process in my class takes about 3 days. Two days to prep and one day to write. Yes, we write in situ but I can't prevent students from working ahead of the schedule.

That means I have to manage ~750 essays every year. If I spent 15 minutes with each student that would be 187.5 hours of "conference" time with students. For a class with 32 students, that means I would dedicate 75 minutes for each student over the course of the year. That's over a month of instructional / "classroom" time to giving one-on-one feedback!

Inconceivable!

Or is it?

As you suggest, the real time feedback is something that can actually be done with OER Project resources like Project Score and Revision Assistant. When a machine can do a bunch of accurate feedback for students, I think that's a good thing!

• Right! I worry so much that without knowing what words mean that students will be lost. We dedicate a great deal of time to sorting out vocabulary. And guess what, it can be really fun! Words make the world go 'round!

•  I *definitely* have experienced this. I'll point you to the approach that  discusses in his Track Talk and in this thread.

• This sounds like something  would have addressed. It's of utmost importance that students *eventually* understand why they believe what they do...and why they hold on to those beliefs. If you haven't seen it, the How Do We Decide What to Believe? video is an amazing exploration into this idea.

Don't forget
to register!