OC for SS After Party // Really Current Events Live Discussion // 08-05-2021

We hope you enjoyed the Really Current Events Live Discussion session. How do you plan to take what you learned during the session and apply it in your classroom?  Post your takeaways and questions from the session in the comments below. Let’s keep this conversation going! 

Top Replies

• I really loved the ideas that were presented in this talk. I have only been teaching for 6 years so I still get really nervous when bringing up current events. I never know how my students will react and…

• I typed up some of the questions and Walter's answers in the Q&A pod to share:

1. What are some actionable strategies for having conversations about race, vaccines, etc. in places — especially public…
  • I'd like to know about the reading response formats Walter was referring to. Does anyone have a good source for thia?

Parents
  • I typed up some of the questions and Walter's answers in the Q&A pod to share:

1. What are some actionable strategies for having conversations about race, vaccines, etc. in places — especially public schools — where there are laws or policies limiting what teachers can talk about?
    • Walter’s answer in the Q&A pod - Stay grounded in skills and standards, and then apply the lessons of intellectual empathy.
    1. What are some practical lessons or ways to include current events in the classroom that teachers could use with their students tomorrow or on Monday?
    • Walter’s answer – recurring practice from the first day to focus on thinking about history through the summer months. Prominent historians and their disagreements allow for exploration of current events.
    1. What advice can you give when students are learning "two versions" of a historical or current event when there are some teachers at the school who don't agree with anything that we've learned at this conference?
    • Walter’s answer – modeling disagreement and conversation helps students move into historiography and understanding multiple perspectives
    1. Can you recommend some resources for establishing classroom guidelines for discussing current events?
    • Walter’s answer – reading response formats provide structure and empower students’ thinking
    1. How can we foster empathy and inclusion when students are engaged in these discussions?
    • Walter’s answer – classroom agreements on welcoming, inclusion, and safety for every person in our learning communities
  • I'd like to know about the reading response formats Walter was referring to. Does anyone have a good source for thia?

Reply Children
Don't forget
to register!