Literacy

What Are You Reading? - Media Gallery - Literacy - OER Project Community

, wonderful primer on social studies literacy.  Another type of content that my students like to bring into class are youtube videos like oversimplified.  I like to have students listen to radio reports or podcasts.  How should teachers chose content for their classes or are there additional strategies to use to help support students as they "read" all this content? 

Top Replies

• My students too! They love the YouTube videos that nicely explain a whole topic in 5 minutes or less. While I think they have value they are often too simple and lack information for students to make other…

• A big goal I have for this year is use of Podcasts. Throughline's (see link below) 3 part Capitalism episodes, and the one on the 15th Amendment are on my short list (I already use the Women's March…

• A big goal I have for this year is use of Podcasts. Throughline's (see link below) 3 part Capitalism episodes, and the one on the 15th Amendment are on my short list (I already use the Women's March on Versailles episode from "Stuff You Missed In History Class"). What others are folks considering? And how do you use them (how do you know students engaged in them the "right way"?)?

• My students too! They love the YouTube videos that nicely explain a whole topic in 5 minutes or less. While I think they have value they are often too simple and lack information for students to make other connections. I have never used podcasts and I’m a little scared to get started. I often hear how valuable they are so I would love to hear other peoples suggestions on where to start. 

• Hi  wonderful question. I think the answer really comes down to the big ideas that you and your students are working on - those essential or driving questions that guide our instruction...and our assessments. So, for example (and I'm prompted by  with this), let's say you're working on a lesson or Unit about the Vietnam War and you're focusing on something like "Was the Vietnam War worth fighting?" as your driving question.  Off the top of your head, right now, I bet you can think of no less than a dozen sources that can help students deal with this question. Propaganda posters, speeches by government officials from around the world, letters home, battle footage, the chemical composition of Napalm or Agent Orange, POW artwork, Vietnamese diaries, etc. The innate curiosity that teachers have - and bring to the classroom - should inform your selection of those sources. 

As far as supporting students with this content - it's a time question. Just like everything else we do. How much time are you willing to spend to dissect journalist war reports, statistics about casualties, or a letter from a private to his girlfriend in Iowa, or the power and symbolism of the Vietnam Memorial. We want students to analyze, compare, and contrast these sources to determine how they connect to the EQ/DQ. A set of broad questions (I recommend the Track Talk from Nick Dennis) can really set the stage for how students "read" all of this information - all grounded in helping them discover and develop their own curiosity. That's the thing about history (and 3 year olds) - there's always more questions around the corner.

BTW, speaking of 3 year olds, I should point out that somewhere between pre-school and about 10th grade, something happens to that curiosity. It's like we (as a society) have found a way to stifle that powerful curiosity that children bring into the world. I think social studies classrooms, in particular, are well suited to re-instill that curiosity!

• I liked this talk a lot about using books to tell stories!  Stories are very important to teaching history and using books is a great way to make use of public or school libraries.  They can help us understand differing points of view, perspectives, etc.  There is also the visual element and the shared experience.  There are many benefits it you take the time to think about them!  I first came across this being employed by the historian Vinay Lal on his UCLA Indian History courses he put on Youtube.  So she is right it can be used on all levels.  He used exerpts from larger texts not picture books!