Response to the video - Really Current Events

In watching the video on current events, I was struck with how similar the experiences of the speaker were to my own as I struggle to find ways to discuss hot topic issues in a blended classroom of liberal and conservative views. I teach 2 political science classes and my favorite aspect of the course is building the foundations that allow my students to have robust and deep conversations about current political events. The challenge is always how to control for the uncontrollable. I believe this begins, as the speaker said, with establishing clear ground rules for discussion.

I was also struck with how to deal with the conflicts regarding evolution and the big bang in conservative areas with parents and administration. I hope to develop a BHP curriculum for my 7th grade students this year, and this is one of the largest stumbling blocks.

#OERScavengerhunt

Top Replies

• Watching the video on Really Current Events I really really enjoyed the speaker.  I think I enjoyed him most because of his honesty and laidback delivery.  I agree with everything the speaker said about…

Parents
  • Watching the video on Really Current Events I really really enjoyed the speaker.  I think I enjoyed him most because of his honesty and laidback delivery.  I agree with everything the speaker said about the importance of bringing the news into the classroom and allowing students to decipher the information which is carefully given to them.  Our job as teachers is to make sure we are creating lifelong learners who know how to understand decipher and use the information as needed to help form their own opinions and to be able to have relevant conversations on various topics.  His talk inspired me to work harder to bring current "news" into my classroom and have difficult conversations with my students. 

#OER Scavenger hunt

• Watching the video on Really Current Events I really really enjoyed the speaker.  I think I enjoyed him most because of his honesty and laidback delivery.  I agree with everything the speaker said about the importance of bringing the news into the classroom and allowing students to decipher the information which is carefully given to them.  Our job as teachers is to make sure we are creating lifelong learners who know how to understand decipher and use the information as needed to help form their own opinions and to be able to have relevant conversations on various topics.  His talk inspired me to work harder to bring current "news" into my classroom and have difficult conversations with my students. 

#OER Scavenger hunt

Children
No Data