How do we know what we know?

One of my favorite 2022 Track Talks is from middle school teacher Crissy Calera. It's called Assessing Historical Thinking with One Crucial Question.

I have only taught high school, but I'm really impressed with how simply and methodically she tackles how to question history...and ourselves. Her ideas are a fantastic way of unpacking the claim testing process that many of us are familiar with.

Have you seen this one yet? What do you think?

Top Replies

•   this was a fantastic Track Talk, and definitely one that moves beyond the bounds of middle school and into every facet of life today.  I loved how you moved from the familiar at the start of…

• So far, this has been my favorite Track Talk! Crissy takes the concept of sourcing and authority to a really personal level to create a meaningful connection with students from the start of the year. T…

• This is such a great Track Talk! Chrissy's method of starting with issues familiar to students and building on those with each unit is such a great strategy to help middle school students understnd claim…

Parents
  • I found  Crissy Calera's scaffolding and preparation for her question to tie directly to ways I could teach claim testing.  I teach older students, so I might not have physical corners, but I definitely think its helpful for them to think through those questions of sourcing and authority.  I love the book "Seedfolks:", but I hesitate to use it with high school. I think older students would think it beneath them. Any one had success?  I also have found the video, "The Danger Of A Single Story," to reach students and generate conversation.

• I found  Crissy Calera's scaffolding and preparation for her question to tie directly to ways I could teach claim testing.  I teach older students, so I might not have physical corners, but I definitely think its helpful for them to think through those questions of sourcing and authority.  I love the book "Seedfolks:", but I hesitate to use it with high school. I think older students would think it beneath them. Any one had success?  I also have found the video, "The Danger Of A Single Story," to reach students and generate conversation.

Children
No Data