"Using Inquiry to Increase Engagement"

, thanks for the peek into your classroom (or at least at one of the display walls in the room).  Yes, the charge to develop independent thinkers may be necessary if we are to maintain individual rights within our republic.  You appear to enjoy considering the many theoretical constructs of instruction and education; how do you model an assessment or evaluation of various constructs, such as we consider a range of evaluation of historical figures ("To what extent was Andrew Carnegie a robber baron or philanthropist?"); what are successes or shortcomings in the ideas of Dewey or Hirsch?  Thank you for sharing an approach to student inquiry!

Top Replies

• Hey Greg-- thank you taking time to watch my talk. I couldn't agree with you more on the first point (independent thinkers are necessary not that we only saw one wall). I think it's important to understand…

Parents
  • Hey Greg-- thank you taking time to watch my talk. I couldn't agree with you more on the first point (independent thinkers are necessary not that we only saw one wall). I think it's important to understand the deep currents of educational theory. I believe its the way we understand the patterns, its the way educators code conversations amongst peers, and quite frankly- you can get lost in the Tips and Tricks otherwise. 

I think that your example question is quite a manifestation of the existentialist theory. The terms robber baron or philanthropist are nuanced but really boiled down to the question of "good guy, bad guy, or a little bit of both?" If I was going to pull the course narrative closer to the progesive-Dewey school of thought I would aim at running the thread through their own lives. Maybe comparing and contrasting Carnegie to Musk or Besos and asking students "Are we living in a Neo-Gilded Age?" Hirsch would pre-teach comparison skills and fully define and articulate the terms like Robber Barron, philanthropy, etc. 

I believe all of the theories are placed on a spectrum and a practitioner moves the needle based on the content, student feedback, etc, etc. For example progressive mindsets might be inappropriate for the beginning of the year or students might grow weary of essentialist lessons and engagement could dip.

Thanks again for watching my talk and starting this convo!

•  Yes, my Carnegie question is yes/no, but I intended to consider an evaluation along a spectrum.  How do we talk about Dewey?  Hirsch?  What successes do we identify and why?  What reservations do we hold and why?  

• I totally get that. It's a great question and an existentialist would dig it. I think we should talk Dewey as someone who would be all for young Big Historian students. I think he would appreciate the ability for students to connect their school life to personal life/interests. I think Hirsch has been hijacked by special interests who view standards as legalistic and a checklist. I think his success is helping teachers understand foundational knowledge, whereas Dewey philosophies help teacher understand capacities and possibilities. 

• I totally get that. It's a great question and an existentialist would dig it. I think we should talk Dewey as someone who would be all for young Big Historian students. I think he would appreciate the ability for students to connect their school life to personal life/interests. I think Hirsch has been hijacked by special interests who view standards as legalistic and a checklist. I think his success is helping teachers understand foundational knowledge, whereas Dewey philosophies help teacher understand capacities and possibilities. 

Children
No Data