What are you most looking forward to as you prepare to return to school?

At the OC for SS, we welcome teachers from all over! Some teachers have another month remaining in their summer break, while others are currently preparing their classrooms for students to arrive. As you think about preparing for school, what are you most looking forward to in the upcoming year? Share your answers in the comments below!

Top Replies

• With last year being my first of teaching WHP without reduced class time due to the pandemic, I am hoping to feel a little less like a first year teacher this year! (For reference, I’m entering year 18…

•    your comment about being mindful and explicit with regard to teaching writing skills really resonates with me. I taught reading and writing workshops for many years at the 4th and 5th grade…

• After two years of Covid it seems that we may finally "be back to normal" or some type of normalcy in the classroom so my main goal for this year is to plan the course allowing time to teach writing skills…

Parents
  • After two years of Covid it seems that we may finally "be back to normal" or some type of normalcy in the classroom so my main goal for this year is to plan the course allowing time to teach writing skills. In the past I assigned three Investigation Essays without spending much time teaching the skill, but this year I intend to incorporate the claim testing activities that come with most of the thresholds. I want to build a routine using evidence to support claims as well as the other claim testers until it becomes a habit of the mind. Using Score (Revision Assistant) will give me time to hold a brief one-on-one meeting with my students. I don't anticipate to be a lengthy process but a constructive step towards my end goal. 

•    your comment about being mindful and explicit with regard to teaching writing skills really resonates with me. I taught reading and writing workshops for many years at the 4th and 5th grade level, and over the past couple of years, I've noticed a significant drop in many of those ELA skills that are so essential across subject areas and in life outside of the classroom. I am looking forward to utilizing SCORE and also providing support to students as they learn to craft strong arguments, look for evidence, and think like historians. It sounds like we have some common goals this year!

•    your comment about being mindful and explicit with regard to teaching writing skills really resonates with me. I taught reading and writing workshops for many years at the 4th and 5th grade level, and over the past couple of years, I've noticed a significant drop in many of those ELA skills that are so essential across subject areas and in life outside of the classroom. I am looking forward to utilizing SCORE and also providing support to students as they learn to craft strong arguments, look for evidence, and think like historians. It sounds like we have some common goals this year!

Children
No Data
Don't forget
to register!