OC for SS After Party // Assessing Historical Thinking Live Discussion // 08-03-2022

We hope you enjoyed the rich conversation in the Assessing Historical Thinking Live Discussion. So, what’s your takeaway from this session? We’d love to hear your assessment. Post your comments and questions below. 

Top Replies

Parents
  • Personal positionality activities allow students to see themselves as historical actors and individuals with different perspectives. The language we use matters (avoid "bias" and instead use "perspective").

Hatreds have context. As Historians, we are not here to simplify bad things that happen because of bad people. We need to discover the complicated and nuanced structures that create the contexts and circumstances that allow for oppression. Helps students to understand better how something horrific could happen and apply it to our own moments of oppression. The same systems of oppression are still with us today.

• Personal positionality activities allow students to see themselves as historical actors and individuals with different perspectives. The language we use matters (avoid "bias" and instead use "perspective").

Hatreds have context. As Historians, we are not here to simplify bad things that happen because of bad people. We need to discover the complicated and nuanced structures that create the contexts and circumstances that allow for oppression. Helps students to understand better how something horrific could happen and apply it to our own moments of oppression. The same systems of oppression are still with us today.

Children
  • Also, just thought that the idea of personal positionality allows us to build community, as suggested by Bakari Seller as a starting point to learning to love our neighbor. Bias implies a right/wrong, good/bad binary that impedes that opportunity to find ways to connect.

•  I totally agree with the language notion you bring up. That was a major takeaway in my notes, too! The idea of both/and thinking instead of right/wrong is critically important. I constantly remind my students that context matters when looking at the past. It's simple to pass judgment or say something was bad or wrong using our 2022 lens. However, that's not thinking like a historian!

Don't forget
to register!