OC for SS After Party // Assessing Historical Thinking Live Discussion // 08-03-2022

We hope you enjoyed the rich conversation in the Assessing Historical Thinking Live Discussion. So, what’s your takeaway from this session? We’d love to hear your assessment. Post your comments and questions below. 

Top Replies

Parents
  • As a Middleschool Teacher, I have come to see that our students often have extreme opinions.  They tend not to see grey areas.  And often these opinions are shaped by things outside the classroom such as social media, family beliefs, and cultural beliefs.  As much as we might strive to create an inclusive and safe learning environment sometimes such opinions come out of students in vitriolic ways.  How can we use Historical Thinking to address such thinking and thinking traps that are prevalent on social media?

• As a Middleschool Teacher, I have come to see that our students often have extreme opinions.  They tend not to see grey areas.  And often these opinions are shaped by things outside the classroom such as social media, family beliefs, and cultural beliefs.  As much as we might strive to create an inclusive and safe learning environment sometimes such opinions come out of students in vitriolic ways.  How can we use Historical Thinking to address such thinking and thinking traps that are prevalent on social media?

Children
  • This is tricky for sure! I think most kids --even the ones with the less-than-inclusive thinking/vocab -- can identify bullying and prejudice outside of themselves but they aren't ready or able yet to see it in themselves. Middle schoolers know what the right thing to say is when given scenarios during SEL activities, for example. You're onto something already: have Ss evaluate social media posts. Ask them to identify the different ways it could be perceived. Ask Ss to reflect on how they might be perceived when they say ________.

Don't forget
to register!