OC for SS After Party // Bringing Context to World Events // 08-04-2022

Helping students navigate global perspectives and distinguish accurate information is essential to having an informed society.  

We’ve also got an amazing list of Native American classroom resources from the Live Discussion participants for you! 

What was your greatest takeaway from the Bringing Context to World Events Live Discussion? Share your perspective in the comments below! 

DOCX

Top Replies

• Jerad's response about "taking for granted the contributions of people" and Edwin's response on understanding  the idea of our relationships to the world and that helping us to realize…

• We are part of creation, we are not the pinnacle! The beings we can see, smell, touch have something to teach. Connecting to the natural world helps us be mindful of our place in the world, as part of…

• I think it’s important to include Native voices when teaching indigenous perspectives; as pointed out in the discussion, knowledge is informed by experience. As this discussion was going on, I pointed…

Parents
  • I think it’s important to include Native voices when teaching indigenous perspectives; as pointed out in the discussion, knowledge is informed by experience. As this discussion was going on, I pointed out that my wife, who is enrolled Yakama, home-schooled our daughter, also enrolled Yakama, this last year and that the curriculum provided drove her up the wall because it told a very settler colonial narrative and didn’t provide much depth; the end result was that my wife taught her own thing from what she knew and what her grandmother taught her. It is these stories that are passed on are quite often much better than the textbook.

For me, I teach World History. When I go to incorporate indigenous perspectives into my curriculum, I quite often go looking for readings and authorship from indigenous people. I quite often find myself looking for material to read for personal enrichment to expand my understanding. This quite often can and will be interdisciplinary. Teaching in a school district that has about 70% Hispanic representation, I quite often find talking to my students to be quite useful and it is further useful to encourage them to share out their experiences; I say this because, I quite often find out in the course of discussion that many of them themselves are indigenous to Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, etc. and often speak or are trying to learn their indigenous language in addition to Spanish and/or English (this also has produced some fantastic research projects when I ask them to engage in historical inquiry). So, quite often those students are not navigating the dominant culture of their home country, but they are also navigating the culture of the diaspora that exists here in the United States.

Overall, I loved the overall call to “teach with us, not just about us.” If indigenous perspectives are to be properly included, we need to bring indigenous people into the discussion.

•  , thank you for sharing this information with us from your experiences and from your wife's efforts with indigenous curriculum. I would be very interested to see anything your wife would be willing to share.

I am from eastern Washington, so any stories of our region from someone in the Yakama Nation would be learning about my home. Are there any stories, curricula, or sources you guys would be willing to post? Or if there is anything you would be willing to discuss, my school email is delsasser@wwps.org

Thanks!

•  , thank you for sharing this information with us from your experiences and from your wife's efforts with indigenous curriculum. I would be very interested to see anything your wife would be willing to share.

I am from eastern Washington, so any stories of our region from someone in the Yakama Nation would be learning about my home. Are there any stories, curricula, or sources you guys would be willing to post? Or if there is anything you would be willing to discuss, my school email is delsasser@wwps.org

Thanks!

Children
No Data
Don't forget
to register!