Track Talk: LET THE SUN SHINE IN: EXPANDING LITERACY THROUGH AUDITORY AND VISUAL LEARNING

I found this talk to be very inspiring.  I love the idea of emerging students in the resources and joining them to provide support rather than the sage on the stage approach.  This is especially important today as we struggle with finding a new normal and re-engaging students in their learning. I think this Blog post by Michael D. Toth Why Student Engagement is Important in a Post-COVID World – and 5 Strategies to Improve It goes along well with the sort of engagement Joe is explaining. Great job Joe! 

Top Replies

•  , while I have slowly seen student engagement begin to return to its pre-covid form, there is still a long way to go. The statistics on student motivation and morale in the article you shared…

•  , while I have slowly seen student engagement begin to return to its pre-covid form, there is still a long way to go. The statistics on student motivation and morale in the article you shared are truly shocking, especially seeing the difference between what students reported and what teachers viewed. 

I have done summative assignments where I have students choose a specific perspective and they are always well-received by students.  I never thought to use this type of idea with different forms of media though. This is the perfect type of lesson to really place students at the center of their own learning and hopefully increase their motivation and morale!