Anonymous
Parents
  • This talk does a great job of emphasizing the importance of creating "access points" for students. Early in my career, I can remember having lessons with articles from academic journals and primary documents such as the Federalist Papers flop because I didn't have the appropriate tools to help students read these texts effectively. Since then, I've found reading strategies from Reading Apprenticeship training and Kelly Gallagher's Deeper Reading book to be especially effective. These trainings were provided to teachers in several content areas - not just ELA - which I think was a huge asset for content area teachers that didn't envision themselves as teachers of reading or writing. Does anyone have favorite, cross-curricular reading strategies? #MCHE

Comment
  • This talk does a great job of emphasizing the importance of creating "access points" for students. Early in my career, I can remember having lessons with articles from academic journals and primary documents such as the Federalist Papers flop because I didn't have the appropriate tools to help students read these texts effectively. Since then, I've found reading strategies from Reading Apprenticeship training and Kelly Gallagher's Deeper Reading book to be especially effective. These trainings were provided to teachers in several content areas - not just ELA - which I think was a huge asset for content area teachers that didn't envision themselves as teachers of reading or writing. Does anyone have favorite, cross-curricular reading strategies? #MCHE

Children
No Data