Anonymous
Parents
  • Too often kids don't carry over their skills to other areas and that needs to become a norm.  I have taught so many Close Reads in my ELA classes, but so few kids even attempt that in their SS classes.  They are so accustomed to doing something in one room and moving on to another that they don't realize that the skills are going to help you in every area of reading, not just in the ELA classroom. I also think it should be ingrained in kids that one read is NEVER enough.  You should be reading things two or three times to really get something out of it.  They read words, not understand them too often, but rereading and even reading a third time will help them get a deeper understanding. #MCHE

Comment
  • Too often kids don't carry over their skills to other areas and that needs to become a norm.  I have taught so many Close Reads in my ELA classes, but so few kids even attempt that in their SS classes.  They are so accustomed to doing something in one room and moving on to another that they don't realize that the skills are going to help you in every area of reading, not just in the ELA classroom. I also think it should be ingrained in kids that one read is NEVER enough.  You should be reading things two or three times to really get something out of it.  They read words, not understand them too often, but rereading and even reading a third time will help them get a deeper understanding. #MCHE

Children