Anonymous
  • A lot of this talk reminded me of Reading Apprenticeship (which is a worthwhile PD if you ever get the chance). The importance of metacognition, discussions, and personal connections in reading cannot be overstated. However, like they said in the video, it can be a monster to plan for at times. This reaffirms a lot of my district goals to encourage close reading and student talk and provided examples of tools for teaching difficult texts like frontloading. I think this pairs well with the video Teaching Social Studies is Teaching Reading — Natalie Wexler and her point about how important prior knowledge can be to understanding a text. #MCHE

• This talk does a great job of emphasizing the importance of creating "access points" for students. Early in my career, I can remember having lessons with articles from academic journals and primary documents such as the Federalist Papers flop because I didn't have the appropriate tools to help students read these texts effectively. Since then, I've found reading strategies from Reading Apprenticeship training and Kelly Gallagher's Deeper Reading book to be especially effective. These trainings were provided to teachers in several content areas - not just ELA - which I think was a huge asset for content area teachers that didn't envision themselves as teachers of reading or writing. Does anyone have favorite, cross-curricular reading strategies? #MCHE

• I agree with Megan's comment regarding the carry over of skills. We do a weekly Close Read in class with our ELA. I do not see the use of this in Social Studies texts unless I guide them through it step by step. I like the idea of front loading lessons with different texts such as stories to engage the students and find it very important to continue to expose our students to a variety of sources/documents. #MCHE

• This video has so many ideas to think about and process, but one I honed in on was the importance of instilling into our students the skills to be life long learners, especially since we truly cannot teach them everything- there is just too much content- we know they will be leaving us and I hope that what I have taught them to do while learning with me is enough to keep them learning throughout their lives. #MCHE 

• The panel introduced many points that are useful for teachers who look to strengthen knowledge building in literacy.  How do we strengthen student literacy?  Several ideas include:  entry questions and effective previews; using challenging texts; employ "close read" strategies (preview, general questions, connections); address motivation and purpose; establish a driving question; use intentional extensions to facilitate remote learning; distinguish between fact and opinion for effective use of media publications (I use articles from The Onion for this purpose); authentic texts (I read Shakespeare with students; we read Mark Kurlansky, Mona Hanna-Attisha, and this year Nathaniel Philbrick); read aloud to model an embrace of reading; the honesty of "seminar instruction over ZOOM stinks" is refreshing and appreciated; mixing up instruction approaches, since a one hour in-person class time is not useful with one-hour remote screen; "students are owners of their own learning" may be problematic; using time to differentiate learning is necessary with remote instruction; making history relatable through biography; and a final charge that "the History person sets the tone for effective learning" is true.  Each of these ideas merits detailed discussion.  Perhaps instruction is at a crossroad, a revolution, which necessitates a change in conventional practice.  @MCHE  #MCHE