Fostering Civic Action through Local History - Sarah Anderson

There are many benefits to teaching local history, from increasing subject relevancy, to strengthening student skills, to inspiring collective action. This talk suggests several reasons why educators should adopt a place-based approach to social studies and provides concrete examples of how local history can encourage students to become agents of change in their communities.

Anonymous
Parents
  • I really enjoyed learning from this talk. Her place-based approach gives relevance to learning history to students and empowers students to move from just learning to acting. I've tried to weave her approach into my class more this year, but still have a lot more to do. I find myself getting caught up with getting through pacing and this was an important reminder to refocus.

Comment
  • I really enjoyed learning from this talk. Her place-based approach gives relevance to learning history to students and empowers students to move from just learning to acting. I've tried to weave her approach into my class more this year, but still have a lot more to do. I find myself getting caught up with getting through pacing and this was an important reminder to refocus.

Children
No Data