History Just Keeps Getting Longer - Rachel Hansen

This year we have more history to teach than last year. It just keeps getting longer! That doesn’t mean we should teach less of it. When students learn to scale shift, history will become more meaningful and relevant as they begin to contextualize their place in the narrative.

Anonymous
Parents
  • Hi Rachel, excellent job with this track talk.  I like starting the year with a simple activity.  I ask the students to make a "timeline of you."  I give very little instruction or direction, I just tell them to select 8 events.  Without fail the students select their birth as the first event.  Then as I follow up with questions and get them thinking about how they got here, outside the few giggles of them thinking about their parents meeting, students begin to see the world around them.  They begin to see world events that pushed or pulled their grandparents to come to this country.  It is a really fun activity and it fits nicely with your thread.  

Comment
  • Hi Rachel, excellent job with this track talk.  I like starting the year with a simple activity.  I ask the students to make a "timeline of you."  I give very little instruction or direction, I just tell them to select 8 events.  Without fail the students select their birth as the first event.  Then as I follow up with questions and get them thinking about how they got here, outside the few giggles of them thinking about their parents meeting, students begin to see the world around them.  They begin to see world events that pushed or pulled their grandparents to come to this country.  It is a really fun activity and it fits nicely with your thread.  

Children
No Data