WHP Onboarding Session After Party!

Welcome to the WHP Onboarding Session After Party!

This is an opportunity for everyone who attended the professional development session to continue learning—and for those who plan to watch the recording to join the conversation.

To get the conversation started, we have a few questions for you:

• After participating in the Onboarding Session and diving into the course, what else do you need to know?
  • How do you plan on making course materials available to your students? Canvas? Google Classroom? Something else?
  • Have you planned out your first month? Semester? Year? Share your plans with the community and get some feedback!

We look forward to hearing from you. After posting a comment, click this link to receive an exclusive WHP poster pack to jazz up your classroom!

Top Replies

•  Thank you for joining us tonight! It really was a great session with everyone.  

I love to use the Draw Your History activity. I do not give them much direction other than to spend the time drawing…

• Just starting the planning process! So excited to be excited about teaching 9th grade global! (You know what I mean!) Last night's workshop was a great intro, and I am grateful to have actual teachers…

• Course materials will be available via Google Classroom. I have laid out my unit progression for the year (sorry era7 not getting there).

Parents
  • I enjoyed the sessions. The presenters were proffesional, and relateable. I was interested in all the topics. I would love to hear more about connecting the draw your history activity to the useable history picture.

I plan on using Canvas. I really appreciate how  the materials are set up to be downloaded and then uploaded to Canvas.

I

•  Thank you for joining us tonight! It really was a great session with everyone.  

I love to use the Draw Your History activity. I do not give them much direction other than to spend the time drawing.  When I start asking them questions about whether they drew anything referencing grandparents, the town we live in, or something that happened 1000 years ago they laugh at me. My students assume their history begins with them. This always leads to such a rich discussion about the scale of history as well as historical narratives. When we watch the What Makes History Usable? video, we discuss how important it is to connect people, places, and events into the historical narrative.  Using the video as a guide, my students and I engage and a discussion about our town and how studying its history can help us understand its current situation.  Why do people move here? How does that connect to why their family may have moved here? I am wondering if  ,  , or  have anything to add here.

• Draw Your History is already in my planbook for next week (our first week in NY).  It's student-friendly because anyone can complete the activity and I find that it allows me to learn a bit about my students through the information they share about their personal histories.  I enjoy using digital platforms and resources, but this is one of those instances where I actually prefer paper and pencil.  

• Thank you, I like the idea of taking a moment to discuss the city they live in.
  • I think  nailed it! Draw Your History is on the docket for Monday, which is my first day with students. I actually have students do the drawing on the back of this first day survey. Taken together, they've given me a good start at getting acquainted with my students. 

Reply Children