Making Contextualization Accessible

I found Anne Koschmider to have excellent use of everyday examples of contextualization.  Inviting someone to see the sequel to a movie and thus needing to fill them in on what the previous movie is about, or to use photographs to create stories and then to compare them to the original , are very useable examples.  I'd suggest using the Learning Network's  photographs, ,https://www.nytimes.com/column/learning-whats-going-on-in-this-picture .

I plan on really giving contextualization a go.

Top Replies

Parents
  • The use of the visual guide, a funnel, is identified often in the AP History curriculum, to help students understand contextualization as a larger frame.  The tool "GeoSPRITE" (Geography, Social, Political, Religious, Intellectual, Technological, Economic) directs students to use these various lenses to set up how a specific idea or event may have come to be.  One challenge I experience with young learners is just how large a context may or should be.  Is a specific event from WWII contextualized well as a product of five centuries of modern European history?  Or is the event better contextualized with the frames from the first five decades of the twentieth century?  It may be useful to have students discuss strong and weak attempts at contextualization.

• The use of the visual guide, a funnel, is identified often in the AP History curriculum, to help students understand contextualization as a larger frame.  The tool "GeoSPRITE" (Geography, Social, Political, Religious, Intellectual, Technological, Economic) directs students to use these various lenses to set up how a specific idea or event may have come to be.  One challenge I experience with young learners is just how large a context may or should be.  Is a specific event from WWII contextualized well as a product of five centuries of modern European history?  Or is the event better contextualized with the frames from the first five decades of the twentieth century?  It may be useful to have students discuss strong and weak attempts at contextualization.

Children
No Data