"Confronting Anti-Semitism" video

This video offered a claim at the beginning, "Young students were alarmed that their peers lacked a basic understanding of the Holocaust."  This specific horror, the Holocaust, stokes fervor and imagination within students as they begin to explore it.  It is refreshing to hear that some students were so concerned that peers lacked knowledge of the event that they approached their teacher, and the teacher acknowledged the understanding and included deeper analysis of it within an academic course.  I observe that if students lack information about the Holocaust, they may show considerable knowledge with other historical topics of discrimination and prejudice (race relations, religious tolerance, ethnic sensitivities, human rights, among others).  I take it as a challenge to make sure students leave high school with an ability to explain such twentieth-century historical events as the Holocaust and why it is necessary for these students to consider these past events as they live out their lives in the twenty-first century.  

Top Replies

• I'm wondering about modifying this approach for a Middle School Unit on the Civil War and Racial Injustices / Enslavement.  Very powerful approach.  I like how each day the students were doing student…

• This is a very impressive unit! I loved how students had so many chances to puzzle things out on their own!  It doesn't seem possible that it was only 4 days!

•   Your question reflects an experience that is likely evident in many classrooms.  My course of action may be to talk with a student one-on-one, to learn about how the student is thinking about…

Parents
  • I'm wondering about modifying this approach for a Middle School Unit on the Civil War and Racial Injustices / Enslavement.  Very powerful approach.  I like how each day the students were doing student-based inquiries on the topic with the provided materials. and how most importantly the connection to the present day was front and center, not overlooked or rushed through.  

My question and concern is how to best approach this with some of my young male students who have cultural / family / personal prejudices that often color how they see and respond to difficult topics. (everything from shutting down and not engaging with difficult material to getting very combative)  I want to reaffirm that their voices and experiences have value, but at the same time re-enforce that so do the experiences of everyone around them; that they don't get to ignore things that make them uncomfortable.

•   Your question reflects an experience that is likely evident in many classrooms.  My course of action may be to talk with a student one-on-one, to learn about how the student is thinking about the topic; does the student have questions, need clarification, have anxieties about a topic.  I may eventually ask "How would you like to contribute to this topic?"  Not every student will wish to talk in class; perhaps the student may prefer to journal with me privately.  The student and teacher may share ideas, and this degree of participation may be most appropriate.  Is there a topic of discrimination that the student would like to talk and learn more about?  Talking about difficult topics is a skill to learn, and not every student is at the same place.  Students need to feel comfortable about  their own ideas before they can be asked to address the ideas of others.  A later step is to learn how to talk with others with whom we disagree or not understand.  My high school freshmen may not be further along with these challenges than are your middle school students!

•   Your question reflects an experience that is likely evident in many classrooms.  My course of action may be to talk with a student one-on-one, to learn about how the student is thinking about the topic; does the student have questions, need clarification, have anxieties about a topic.  I may eventually ask "How would you like to contribute to this topic?"  Not every student will wish to talk in class; perhaps the student may prefer to journal with me privately.  The student and teacher may share ideas, and this degree of participation may be most appropriate.  Is there a topic of discrimination that the student would like to talk and learn more about?  Talking about difficult topics is a skill to learn, and not every student is at the same place.  Students need to feel comfortable about  their own ideas before they can be asked to address the ideas of others.  A later step is to learn how to talk with others with whom we disagree or not understand.  My high school freshmen may not be further along with these challenges than are your middle school students!

Children
No Data