Dr. Keith Barton on Curriculum for Justice and Harmony

Dr. Barton previews his keynote talk and offers some probing questions to mull over as you get ready for the 61st Annual California Council for the Social Studies (CCSS) Conference March 4-6 in Orange County. Watch the video and register the conference to hear Dr. Barton's Saturday keynote session!

Social Studies in a New Era
Connect.
Collaborate.
Construct.
March 4-6, 2022

REGISTER

Anonymous
  •     Thank you for sharing the presentation.  I enjoyed considering, too, the references to Neil Postman and his ideas, which few of my immediate colleagues do not know.

• What a beautiful insight! It's so easy (and comfortable) to stay inside your bubble and not listen to why people may have other views. Many years ago I was speaking with another parent and shared how much I loved my daughter's Montessori school because of the incredible diversity of the student population. They learned and celebrated their differences and traditions. The mother responded that her daughtr would experience diversity when she went to college, but until that time, she wanted to have her with people who shared the same values.  There have been very few times in my life I've been so shocked that you can see my jaw drop, and this was one of those times. It was an incredibly sad lesson on how people do not want to broaden their horizon and learn about the world around them.

,your student provided a lesson to us all. It is essential to try to understand different perspectives to build empathy and harmony.  I think differspectives should be added to our everyday language. 

• As on of my middle schoolers put it many years ago, we need "differspectives" (different perspectives) to be able to have build empathy and harmony in a community. I'll never forget that word. It sums it all up perfectly.

• I am always amazed by the insight students have. We were doing lessons on imperialism and talking about geopolitical conflict last week. A student remarked that we are having the same fights as before, but now with bigger weapons.

• It’s such a great book! I have only just begun to integrate it into my curriculum. Here’s one way I did it for our first unit of the year. we started with viewing their Ted Talk:

docs.google.com/.../copy