How do we know what we know?

One of my favorite 2022 Track Talks is from middle school teacher Crissy Calera. It's called Assessing Historical Thinking with One Crucial Question.

I have only taught high school, but I'm really impressed with how simply and methodically she tackles how to question history...and ourselves. Her ideas are a fantastic way of unpacking the claim testing process that many of us are familiar with.

Have you seen this one yet? What do you think?

Top Replies

•   this was a fantastic Track Talk, and definitely one that moves beyond the bounds of middle school and into every facet of life today.  I loved how you moved from the familiar at the start of…

• So far, this has been my favorite Track Talk! Crissy takes the concept of sourcing and authority to a really personal level to create a meaningful connection with students from the start of the year. T…

• This is such a great Track Talk! Chrissy's method of starting with issues familiar to students and building on those with each unit is such a great strategy to help middle school students understnd claim…

Parents
  • This is such a great Track Talk! Chrissy's method of starting with issues familiar to students and building on those with each unit is such a great strategy to help middle school students understnd claim testing.  ,this Talk sounds very similar to your approach to claim testing in middle shool.

•   this was a fantastic Track Talk, and definitely one that moves beyond the bounds of middle school and into every facet of life today.  I loved how you moved from the familiar at the start of the year to then expand upon the various topics students would cover throughout the course of the rest of the school year.  The best part of this Track Talk was the overall idea that the "historian" is not the end-all-be-all of the history classroom.  In order to understand How We Know What We Know, it takes an Interdisciplinary Approach to come to a truly honest and real understanding of the past, as well as a belief that "history" is a narrative that is fluid.  It is not set in stone, but like a river, carves out and plots its course as new and more relevant facts are uncovered.  Fantastic job and keep fighting the good fight.

• Thank you so much, Zachary! I really appreciate your encouragement and am so glad it resonated with you!

Reply Children
No Data