6th and 7th Grade Content Changes

I am very curious about the standards change to having 6th grade cover from around 4000BC to 1450AD and then 7th grade spend the whole year on Washington State History. I do understand that the standards are moving away from content to skill acquisition, but compressing 5500 years of world history into a year and stretching 200 years of a small region to fill out a year, seems to be illogical. That said, I have no idea the thought process behind how/why this change was made so I'd be curious to hear from folks who were involved, or anyone for that matter.

• Hi Jacob! Here is an answer from Jerry Price at OSPI, hope this is helpful Slight smile He also asked that I share his contact info, so please feel free to follow up if you have further questions or comments: Jerry.Price@k12.wa.us

Thanks for the question. The Social Studies Cadre of Educators was deliberate about this shift in their recommendations that stems from two factors:

1. The difficulty districts had in adopting and maintaining two distinct sets of curriculum and materials for one grade, as well as the incongruity of the two areas in Social Studies. 

2. The new WA state requirement to teach local Tribal history. As a way of supporting this legislation we wanted to provide space for teaching local Tribal history as part of regular practice for Washington State History. Because most districts teach WA State history in middle school, expanding the course to a full year to pull in additional time and resources for teaching STI Curriculum alongside more traditional WA State topics made sense.

I am with you that that amount of time is unreasonable for the amount of content being covered. As discussed at the session, we hope educators and districts will make choices that allow for fewer, more targeted, deep dives into inquiry opportunities that connect multiple histories/causal factors/etc.

Don't forget
to register!